Samoa is a group of islands located in the South Pacific Ocean, renowned for its natural beauty, rich culture, and friendly locals. If you are planning a trip to Samoa, here is everything you need to know to make the most of your visit.
Let’s check out Samoa islands travel guide – Everything You Need to Know
How to get Samoa islands
Samoa can be accessed by air or sea. Faleolo International Airport, located on Upolu Island, is the main gateway to Samoa and is serviced by several airlines, including Fiji Airways, Air New Zealand, and Virgin Australia. There are also ferry services available from neighboring islands, including American Samoa.
The best time to visit Samoa islands ?
The best time to visit Samoa is during the dry season, which runs from May to October. During this time, the weather is warm and sunny, with low humidity and little rain. The peak tourist season is from July to September, so it’s important to book accommodation and activities in advance during this time.
The wet season in Samoa runs from November to April, and while it can still be a great time to visit, it’s important to be prepared for rain and humidity. Cyclones can also occur during this time, so it’s important to keep an eye on weather reports if you plan to visit during this period.
If you’re interested in surfing, the best time to visit Samoa is from April to October, when the surf is at its best. If you’re interested in seeing humpback whales, the best time to visit is from June to September, when the whales migrate through Samoan waters.
The main modes of transportation in Samoa are rental cars, taxis, and buses. Rental cars are readily available at the airport and in town centers. Taxis can also be easily hailed on the street, and buses run between major towns and villages.
Best things to do in Samoa islands
Samoa is known for its natural beauty, with lush rainforests, stunning waterfalls, and pristine beaches. Here are some of the top things to do in Samoa:
- Visit Lalomanu Beach – This stunning white sand beach is considered one of the most beautiful in Samoa.
- Explore the Rainforest – Samoa is home to lush rainforests with scenic hiking trails and breathtaking waterfalls.
- Experience Traditional Culture – Samoa has a rich culture, and visitors can experience traditional dance, music, and food.
- Snorkel or Dive in the Ocean – Samoa has some of the best snorkeling and diving spots in the world, with crystal-clear waters teeming with marine life.
- Visit the Robert Louis Stevenson Museum – Located in the author’s former home, the museum provides a glimpse into the life of the famous writer.
There are many accommodations available in Samoa to suit different budgets and preferences. Options range from budget-friendly hostels and guesthouses to luxury resorts and hotels. Some popular accommodations in Samoa include Aggie Grey’s Hotel & Bungalows, Taumeasina Island Resort, and Return to Paradise Resort & Spa.
List of best hotels in Samoa islands?
- Coconuts Beach Club Resort & Spa – This luxury resort is located on a secluded beach and offers a range of amenities, including a spa, swimming pool, and restaurant.
- Sheraton Samoa Beach Resort – This beachfront hotel offers spacious rooms, a swimming pool, multiple dining options, and a range of activities.
- Taumeasina Island Resort – This resort is located on a private island and offers a range of water sports, a swimming pool, multiple restaurants, and a spa.
- Saletoga Sands Resort & Spa – This beachfront resort offers a range of accommodations, from beachfront villas to garden bungalows, as well as a swimming pool, restaurant, and spa.
- Sinalei Reef Resort & Spa – This boutique resort offers a range of accommodations, including beachfront villas and garden rooms, as well as a swimming pool, restaurant, and spa.
- Tanoa Tusitala Hotel – This hotel is located in the heart of Apia and offers comfortable rooms, a swimming pool, and a restaurant.
- Aga Reef Resort – This beachfront resort offers a range of accommodations, from oceanview suites to beachfront villas, as well as a swimming pool, restaurant, and spa.
- Le Lagoto Resort & Spa – This boutique resort is located on a secluded beach and offers a range of accommodations, as well as a swimming pool, restaurant, and spa.
Samoa is known for its delicious cuisine, with fresh seafood, tropical fruits, and local delicacies. Some popular dishes to try in Samoa include palusami (taro leaves wrapped in coconut cream), oka (raw fish marinated in lemon juice and coconut cream), and sapasui (Samoan-style chow mein).
Samoa has a unique and rich culture, with strong traditions and customs. Visitors to Samoa should be respectful of local customs and dress modestly when visiting villages and places of worship. It is also customary to remove shoes before entering homes or buildings.
Samoa is generally a safe destination for tourists, with a low crime rate. However, visitors should still take standard precautions, such as not leaving valuables unattended and avoiding unlit or isolated areas at night.
Is it expensive to travel to Samoa?
The cost of traveling to Samoa can vary depending on your travel style and preferences. Samoa is not as expensive as some other Pacific island destinations like Fiji or Tahiti, but it’s also not a budget destination.
The cost of flights to Samoa can be quite expensive, especially if you’re traveling from outside of the Pacific region. Once you’re in Samoa, accommodation and food can be relatively affordable, with a range of options to suit different budgets.
Activities like guided tours, water sports, and cultural experiences can add to the cost of your trip, but there are also plenty of free or low-cost activities to enjoy, such as hiking to waterfalls, visiting markets, and exploring villages.
Samoa is a beautiful destination with a unique culture, stunning scenery, and friendly locals. Whether you are looking for adventure, relaxation, or cultural experiences, Samoa has something to offer every traveler.