Taj Mahal, one of the most loved and recognised historical monuments in the world, has once again made it so easy to say “Wah Taj!”. The monument of love remains the highest revenue-generating monument in India, even in the face of pandemic. In the last three years – 2019 to 2022 – Taj Mahal generated approximately INR 132 crore from the sale of tickets.
Taj Mahal, one of the most loved and recognised historical monuments in the world, has once again made it so easy to say “Wah Taj!”. The monument of love remains the highest revenue-generating monument in India, even in the face of pandemic.
In the last three years – 2019 to 2022 – Taj Mahal generated approximately INR 132 crore from the sale of tickets. The monument also saw a very high number of visitors buying tickets for the main mausoleum for which there was a separate entry ticket, a new system which was introduced in 2018.
What’s there to see, you ask? The main mausoleum houses replicas of the tombs of Shah Jahan and Mumtaj Mahal.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, all heritage sites and monuments were closed off for visitors for several months or had a limit on the number of visitors. Taj Mahal too had a cap on the number of visitors, but even then, the monument fetched over INR 9.5 crore (2019-2020).
To put it in simple terms, the earnings from Taj Mahal alone was about 24 per cent of Archaeological Survey of India’s (ASI) total revenue for the years 2019 to 2022. It is important to note that the ASI protects and manages a total of 3,693 monuments in India, out of which 143 sites have entry tickets.
The reopening of the heritage sites when the pandemic subsided, broke the monotony of being confined to homes during the pandemic and the lockdown, and gave people something to look forward to.
Apart from the Taj Mahal, ASI’s managed monuments like the Red Fort, Qutab Minar, Agra Fort, the group of monuments at Mamallapuram, Konark Sun Temple, Chittorgarh Fort, Khajuraho group of temples, Ellora caves, Shaniwar Wada, Golconda Fort and Humayun’s Tomb are some of the highest revenue generating sites in the country.
Read more :
- Travel News 07/2022 – Arunachal Pradesh’s first ever airport to start operations from August 15
- Travel News 07/2022 – Vietjet airline is offering tickets from India to Vietnam at just INR 26!
- Travel News 07/2022 – Manali, India bans camping without permission, illegal tents to be removed permanently
- Travel News 07/2022 – India-Nepal bus services resume after a hiatus of 2 years
- Travel News 06/2022 – Auli in Uttarkhand to be developed into a global winter tourist destination
- India to roll out e-passports for hassle-free journeys
- How to make a Road Trip plan – The Aesthetics of Route Planning
- Travel News 06/2022 – This Indian cruise ship is set to embark on a longest journey
- What Places to Visit in Mumbai ?
- Travel News 06/2021 – Char Dham Pilgrims to get insurance coverage of INR 1 Lakh
- Travel News 06/2021 – Health check-ups necessary for Char Dham Yatra according to recent rules
- Travel News 06/2022 – Schengen visa approval to be expected longer than normal waiting time