Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Nguyen Van Hung proposed expanding visa exemption for tourists from the U.S., Europe, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and India to boost sector recovery.
He also suggested the government consider simplifying immigration procedures to attract foreign tourists as Vietnam reopened after over two years of border closure, he said in a report submitted to the National Assembly Standing Committee on Tuesday.
Hung also proposed extending tax cuts to tourism businesses until the end of 2023 to help them recover after the pandemic crisis.
Though Vietnam reopened tourism and lifted most Covid restrictions, Hung said travel firms and those working in the tourism industry are grappling with difficulties and have not really benefited directly from current policies.
The country welcomed 954,000 foreign arrivals in the first seven months this year, up nine times year-on-year.
This year, Vietnam targets five million foreign tourists, around 30 percent of pre-pandemic levels.
The government has allowed quarantine-free entry and resumed its pre-pandemic visa exemption policy for 24 tourism markets including Western European countries from mid-March with a maximum stay of 15 days.
You might also like :
- Travel news 08/2022 – Vietnam among Asia’s best places ‘for holiday’ in 2022
- Travel news 08/2022 – Coto island in Vietnam to ban single-use plastics
- Travel news 08/2022 – Vietnam-Kazakhstan flights to resume next month
- Travel news 08/2022 – World Travel Awards to host gala in Ho Chi Minh City in September
- Travel news 08/2022 – South Koreans give Vietnam tourism post-Covid boost
- Travel news 08/2022 – Da Lat eyes new night market, pedestrians-only street to attract tourists
- Travel news 08/2022 – Canadian band The Moffatts to promote Vietnam’s charms pro bono
- Discover paddy fields in northern valley with golden hue as harvest season comes
- Sapa Vietnam travel guide – The best things to do in Sapa 2022
- Vietnam Travel News 08/2022 – Vietjet Expands further operations from India to Vietnam
- Vietnam travel news 08/2022 – Only 40 pct of international air routes have resumed: official
- Travel news 08/2022 – Ninh Binh among 12 coolest Asian filming locations: US travel magazine