Kazakhstan is a large country with diverse landscapes, rich history, and unique cultural experiences. If you are interested in exploring new cultures, admiring scenic beauty, and immersing yourself in different lifestyles, Kazakhstan might be a good travel destination for you.
What’s special about tourism in Kazakhstan?
- Natural beauty: Kazakhstan boasts stunning landscapes, including the Tian Shan mountain range, the vast steppes, and numerous lakes and rivers.
- Cultural heritage: Kazakhstan has a rich cultural heritage, with a mix of nomadic and settled traditions. Visitors can explore ancient petroglyphs and historical sites, such as the Konye-Urgench ruins in Turkmenistan and the Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi in Turkistan.
- Adventure tourism: Kazakhstan offers opportunities for adventure tourism, such as hiking, skiing, and horseback riding.
- Wildlife and nature: Kazakhstan is home to a variety of unique wildlife species, such as the endangered snow leopard and the Asiatic steppe eagle. Visitors can also explore the country’s national parks, including the Altyn-Emel National Park, for breathtaking views of the natural landscape.
- Cultural events: Kazakhstan is home to a variety of cultural events and festivals throughout the year, including traditional nomadic games, horse racing, and cultural exhibitions.
How to get Kazakhstan
You can get to Kazakhstan by several modes of transportation, including:
Flight: Kazakhstan has several international airports, including Almaty International Airport and Nur-Sultan International Airport, which receive flights from a number of major cities around the world.
Train: Kazakhstan is part of the trans-Eurasian railway network, and there are trains connecting it with Russia, China, and other neighboring countries.
Road: You can also reach Kazakhstan by road, either by driving or by taking a long-distance bus. The country has well-developed road networks connecting it with neighboring countries.
Overland: It’s possible to reach Kazakhstan by overland travel, such as a road trip, although this is only recommended for experienced travelers and those familiar with the region.
Once you arrive in Kazakhstan, you can get around the country by a variety of means, including public transport, taxi, or rental car. It is important to research and plan your transportation options in advance to ensure a smooth and safe travel experience.
🚘 Transportation : Traveling in Almaty city, there are many public transport, You can take metro, bus, taxi. We always call Uber because the price is also cheap. The other attractions are far apart, so we rented a package car for the pre-scheduled destinations.
📱 4G sim: You can buy it right at the airport. The property has wifi everywhere.
☀️ Weather: The time I go is summer, so the climate is very cool and pleasant. Only the high mountains are a bit cold.
📢 Languages: Kazakh and Russian are the main languages in Kazakhstan. English is not widely spoken, so when you come to Kazakhstan you should download translation apps like Google Translate. You should learn some basic Russian words before visiting Almaty to be able to communicate more easily.
🥘 Cuisine: cuisine is based on the traditional dishes of the nomads. Mainly meat (lamb and horse), milk and bread. There is also tea and jam. The food is a bit salty, so before ordering you should tell the restaurant in advance.
You can refer the Kazakhstan travel tips and all things to know when travelling to Kazakhstan for the first time here !
Let’s discover a 7-day Kazakhstan roadtrip itinerary
I entered Kazakhstan by road at the Kengen border gate from Kyrgyzstan. If you enter the country when you fly to Almaty, you can go against this schedule.
The first destination in Kazakhstan is the small village of Saty. From here you can visit 2 kolsai lakes and Kaindy lakes.
KOLSAI Lake 1&2
We took a car to Kolsai Lake 1 and then trekked to Kolsai Lake 2 (Kolsai Lake 2 has a higher elevation) The trek from kolsai 1 to kolsai 2 is 8km long, but there are many sections that are quite difficult to climb because of the steep slope. stand and have to return during the day, so the length is 16km and the time to go back and forth takes 7-8 hours. If you want to go to Kolsai 2 lake, you have to go early.
KAINDY Lake (day 3)
Kaindy lake can be reached by car and then walk in. A special feature of this lake is that there is a forest of spruce trees emerging on the surface of the water or people often call it an ingrown forest.
Charyn Canyon National Park (day 4)
After 3 days in Saty village to the 4th day we moved to Charyn Canyon. Charyn Canyon with thin stratified red sedimentary rock layer, is said to be similar to Grand canyon in USA, but it is smaller.
Altyn Emel National Park (Day 5)
We stayed overnight in a small village near Atyn Emel National Park, the next morning bought tickets to visit and then went to the place to visit in the park about 40km away.
The Aktau hills at Altyn Emel are like another world, many white, red and orange bands running across the range with many effects as sunlight changes over time.
Big Almaty Lake (Day 6)
Almaty is the largest city of Kazakhstan. The destination not to be missed when coming to Almaty is Big Almaty lake. About 15 km from the center of Almaty, drive and trek about 10km more to reach the top, a turquoise lake reflecting the snowy mountains and pine forest will appear. appear before your eyes. The scene is like a splendid painting.
ALMATY (day 7)
Last day in Kazakhstan we spent time walking, visiting churches, museums as well as enjoying the food of this city. The city has the old features of the Soviet era.
Wishing those who are intending to come to Kazakhstan to have a little more motivation to visit this beautiful country!
All photos by Nguyen Anh Tuan. You can follow him at https://www.facebook.com/tuannguyen1661
You might also like :
- How to extend visa when traveling to Thailand in 2023
- What you need to know when visiting North Korea?
- Top 10 most beautiful places to visit in China 2023
- The best places to visit Taiwan in 2023
- Top China travel tips – All know before you go in early 2023
- List of the best tourist attractions in Thailand 2023
- The best places to visit in Japan you can’t miss in 2023
- 10 notes to avoid trouble while traveling Japan
- Best things to do in Ly Son island Vietnam