Phu Quoc, Vietnam’s largest island off the southern province of Kien Giang, has been selected one of 25 best islands in the world by readers of U.S. magazine Travel+Leisure.
The magazine says readers’ enthusiasm for the island stems from “its white-sand beaches and delectable food.” The island is renowned for its production of fish sauce, an indispensable Vietnamese condiment, and peppercorns. Other attractions include its coral reefs and dense tropical forest, the magazine says.
For this year’s World Best Awards survey, Travel + Leisure asked its readers to weigh in on travel experiences around the globe to choose the world’s best islands based on activities, sights, natural attractions, beaches, food and friendliness.
Ischia Island in Italy topped the list, followed by the Maldives and Bali in Indonesia. Phu Quoc, Vietnam’s largest island, has gained popularity after the government allowed 30-day visa free entry in 2014.
In 2019, before Covid-19 hit the country, the island received over five million visitors, including 541,600 foreigners. Phu Quoc has seen strong recovery since the country lifted most Covid-19 restrictions. It received 1.4 million tourists in the first half of this year, or over 70 percent of its full-year target.
Amid the summer peak season, more than 40,000 tourists are now stuck on the island as heavy rains and rough seas as a result of an intertropical convergence zone and a low-pressure area have suspended ferry services and limited flights since Sunday.
You might also like :
- Top 10 best bars in Vietnam you can’t miss 2022
- Travel News 07/2022 – Vietnam leads H1 tourist arrivals in Cambodia
- Discover the taste of rural life in the North of Vietnam at homestays in Ninh Binh
- Discover a green journey across Vietnam through photo journal solo trip
- Top 10 best beach resorts in Vietnam selected by US readers
- Travel News 07/2022 – American travel firms pledge to bring tourists to Phu Quoc
- Travel News 07/2022 – Vietnam urges ASEAN members to ease Covid restrictions for tourism recovery
- Con Dao travel guide – The most beautiful island in Vietnam
- Discover the beauty of Hue city, Vietnam – Gentleness and quiet
- Top 10 most beautiful hotel pools in Vietnam to beat summer heat you can’t miss 2022
- Travel News 07/2022 – Covid cloud turbulence as Vietnam seeks links to key tourism markets
- Travel News 07/2022 – Aviation regulator eyes $1 bln upgrade for Cam Ranh airport